Re: [Asrg] Taxonomy of anti-spam systems version 2

2003-03-18 09:56:36
Tom Thomson wrote:
Message: 44
From: Paul Judge <paul(_dot_)judge(_at_)ciphertrust(_dot_)com>

After more thought and feeedback from some people on the list, here is a
second draft of the taxonomy of anti-spam systems.

The systems are classified into prevention, deterrence, and reaction
approaches.

I like the idea of getting a good classification, but there are a few things
wrong with this attempt.

I think you've left out an important option in the reaction approaches list.
Why not add
        j)      Try to punish

I agree partially, but for a different reason. The taxonomy _should_ include socio-legal techniques -

        a) to recognize that some laws do exist
        b) provide a basis for the ASRG to hang discussions on laws -
           while it's outside of our direct purview, some of the
           practises we may end up recommending will _require_ legal
           teeth to be effective.