Re: [Asrg] A possible way to a solution?

2003-03-21 03:09:51
I didn't mean to use DNS for authentication.
I'll illustrate the method I had in mind for this. If my receiving mailserver
gets a message from a
remote mailserver, it'll use the emailheader which contains the FROM field
(basically, I think the
FROM field should contain the senders address, like there's ultimately one TO
field that really
matters, there should also be one FROM field that contains the actual senders
address. That's the
one I'm gonna check.). From that field I take the domainname, look it up in
DNS, get the
mailserver's IP address, and then contact that mailserver. Using a new protocol
my mailserver
communicates with the sending mailserver, to find out whether or not it is
actually trying to send
an email to my mailserver.
If the domain in the FROM emailaddress nonexistence, the email will get
bounced. The sender will
get notified by means of an email. The sender can then take appropriate action,
and eventually
resend his/her email. With a correct emailaddress.
DNS is used as it was intended, not for authentication, not with rDNS.

There's no point in trying to find a solution that will totally eliminate spam.
It might work for a
while, but anything is ultimately breakable. In my opinion, its better to make
it very hard to
spam, and/or give a spammer a lot of work to sending his/her email.
Just look at the all the copy protection schema's that are around. They make it
harder to copy a CD
or DVD for a while, not impossible.

Olger.

Once again this is type of verification based on DNS, I described
majority of this approaches in my presentation and in the beginning
described what these approaches would need to deal with and the
solution described here is pretty much what I called complex mail
verficiation. Again ANYBODY who is considering doing any kind DNS
based mail sender verification any kind of solution like has been
discussed at "Domain Authorized SMTP Mail" thread and RMX and number
of other threads (and there are many many people like this on the
list), I strongly recommend to read my presentation at:

http://www.elan.net/~william/asrg-emailpathverification-
presentation.pdf

(Note that right now it looks like I will not be presenting this on
actual meeting as chair has chosen different presentations for it)

I also do think that being able to track spammer to his real
location will go 1/2 way in stopping them, the rest would fall into
being able to contstruct good black/whitelists and doing legal and
other actions to close spammer business.