Re: [Asrg] A possible way to a solution?

2003-03-21 07:25:23
There is a reason these ideas keep getting proposed.  The idea is solid.
(Different descriptions do overlook certain items but those items can all be
solved.)  Implemented properly it is no more of a load than a blacklist and a
lot less subject to the whims of a madman than the blacklists that exist now.

As far as "simple" vs "complex", for all the complexities you may add every
mail must travel the simple path when traveling between domains.

Take mailing list mail, since that seems to be one of the more complex ideas.
You send a message from your workstation which travels among any number of
complex patterns until it must leave your domain and travel to the domain of
the mailing list post address.  It must traverse the "simple" path to get
there.  Then the mailing list software processes it and sends it out to the
list.  Each of those deliveries must also traverse the "simple" path.

Currently most mailing list servers rely on the MAIL FROM to
pseudo-authenticate mailing list members.  With a working dns scheme they
could at least ensure that the sender was using an outgoing mail server
approved by their domain administrator.

The MAIL FROM does not represent the entire path of the message.  It only
really represents a bounce path back to the server that is currently
accepting responsibility for that message.  In essence, in our mailing list
example there are 2 separate messages.
Simple Path #1: The poster is claiming "I am poster(_at_)example(_dot_)com and
I have a
message for mail(_dot_)list(_at_)example(_dot_)org"

Simple Path #2:  The mail server is claiming "I am
mail(_dot_)list(_at_)example(_dot_)org and I
have a message for mail(_dot_)list(_dot_)member(_at_)example(_dot_)net"

These should not be viewed as a single message.  They are 2 distinct messages.