Re: [Asrg] Misunderstandings ...

2003-03-23 14:17:04
</rant>

Actually, caller ID as sold to residential customers is no better than
a From: line. There are autodialer products on sale that will set the
caller ID readout to be whatever the telemarketer wants; see RISKS
digest recently.
I can attest to that. When I was running dialup ISP with PRIs for incoming
calls, I also tried outgoing and could set phone# to anything I wanted. I
even setup system to deliver free pages but setting it to call with
specific caller-id and then hang-up (so it would be incomplete call but
I'd still see numeric page), of course its irrelevent as now numeric pages
are free and text pages are fairly inexpensive.

It'll be interesting to see if the "do not call" list signed into law
results in telemarketers setting up fake caller ID info and calling
anyway.
There are other ways to find who the caller is even if they do not want
to. There are some who setup traps on it and telemarketers will be caught.

</rant>