Re: [Asrg] Update to DS Protocol draft

2003-03-23 11:38:51
At 10:04 PM -0800 3/22/03, william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net wrote:
II. What you're proposing is just like SRV RMX record. But srv records are
more advanced. Your point that DNS does not support it yet is not
appropriate - you expect sites to update software to support DS draft but
not update their dns software... I means if domain has to put this record
in, it might as well update dns software, not that complex and if somebody

There's a big difference between adding new entries in your DNS database and updating your DNS software. I'd do the first in a second. The latter requires that I a) wait until my DNS vendor supports it and b) am convinced that I need the new feature and want to take the risk of new software.

is going to use the records, they'd have to update mail software, so I do
not see problem updating dns software. But really this is not a main issue
with the proposal...

Again. As I understand the proposal, it's the difference between adding a plugin that is very similar to existing DNS checking plugins, vs. new libraries and protocols. Big difference.

People are real reluctant to add new protocols and new software. They are much more willing to use something hacked on top of an existing system. When we are making proposals that involve changes to millions of computer systems--we have to take this into account. Even if it means doing things the "wrong" way.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.