Re: [Asrg] Update to DS Protocol draft

2003-03-23 11:38:28
At 10:13 AM -0500 3/23/03, mathew wrote:
On Sunday, Mar 23, 2003, at 01:04 US/Eastern, william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net wrote:
III. As I already mentioned multiple times before this is typical
"RMX/Mail-From" style proposal which has the following problems:
[deleted]

Also, I don't see how this helps at all on a net where there are hundreds of thousands of open relays, all of which we assume would have valid designated-sender records and hence be allowed to relay spam to you.

It means that the spammer would have to use the relay's domain in the envelope from. And that makes identify the problematic relay that much easier.

Of course that assumes that someone who is running an open relay would have bothered to update their DNS to support this. Not likely.

Remember. None of these non-architectural solutions are going to solve the entire problem. I think what we should be thinking of is a jigsaw puzzle. Can we put enough pieces in place that the entire picture is clear--even if there are a few holes.

Okay, that was a lousy metaphor.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering