RE: [Asrg] How to defeat spam that uses encryption?

2003-04-01 11:06:45

I think this is a primary requirement (authenticity of
origination - in some
form), do others feel that authenticity will add to the efficacy of any
approach or a majority of approaches?

Whole-heartedly. If we can make them be who they claim they are, then there
is SOME increased accountability, and with that countermeasures become more
effective. At current, I only need a bunch of emails, and I can spam.
Require me to spend money and time on a domain, or cert, or physical system
makes the whole deal less appetizing. Not to mention that you made me leave
a trail that could then be traced back to me. In light of state laws against
spam (even one state is bad), this is something that I DON'T want to have
happen, because I can't tell where my receiver is from...