RE: [Asrg] How to defeat spam that uses encryption?

2003-04-01 08:29:36
There is nothing stopping spammers from generating new keys and certificates
for their mail servers, so we can have servers exchange certs, but really
not authentication there as far as who is who.

Slightly better is if server must have a public certificate verifyable
though DNS, then whatever name is at EHLO, it can be checked at DNS and
then you know who it is. This does not stop spammers from adding their
certs into dns either, but at least then we are requirying them to have
valid dns record for mail server and they really do not like that idea...
(but they can still just get new domain for $6 which is real cheap as far
as preventing abuse and changing domains all the time - to stop some kind
of ip block verification has to be done or DCC like system).

In the far future, this can possibly be tied to reverse ip certs. Currently
there are discussions on possibly distributing certs to ISPs by RIRs (for
S-BGP - yes I know - its somewhat unlikely in the next few years) and if
properly used you could have the ISP when gives ip block to customer, it
could be required to sign their domain cert, then we have some level
of signage from central authority (i.e root dns->RIR->LIR->ISP->Domain
Host->Mail Server->User) but I'm just dreaming here...