Re: [Asrg] How to defeat spam that uses encryption?

2003-04-01 11:17:37

On Tuesday, April 1, 2003, at 09:52  AM, Eric D. Williams wrote:
As a security expert I would have to insert that authentication is a key
element in making an authorization determination.

agree completely! didn't mean to imply I didn't. But he keeps telling me stories of sites that build authentication schemes and think that authorizes people, to (to him) humorous results. you can't authorize without authentication. But authentication merely gives you a handle to start authorizing.

effective. I don't think that is an argument against authentication but rather the authorization must follow (and I think was implicit in the statement,
though the thought could be inferred).

yes. thanks for making that explicit. I should have.

But it does buy you the fact that you know "they are who they say they are", in this example through some objective third party, then what you want to allow them to do is up to you, you can't depend on the 'stranger' to tell you what
they are authorized to do.

Yes. authentication at least starts giving us a handle here, but it's merely the start.