RE: [Asrg] whitelisting server and not users

2003-04-02 17:15:35
On Wednesday, April 02, 2003 4:07 PM, Kee Hinckley
[SMTP:nazgul(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com]
wrote:
At 3:00 PM -0600 4/2/03, Steven F Siirila wrote:
It "breaks" it no more than adding just the TXT record itself in
that both must
be configured by the DNS administrator in order to pass the "good MTA" test.

Sorry, I misread the proposal.  I thought it was finding the
authenticating domain by looking at envelope.  Not from reverse
looking up the IP address.  In that case you're right--they both
break too many systems.  :-)

I don't think it 'breaks' any systems, it just points to another consideration.
 If when developing any of these very good ideas we keep getting caught on 'it
breaks something' and not trying to come at the 'problem' from a different
perspective, in this case how to get rDNS 'widely deployed and used'.  Then in
a lot of cases (IMHO) we will not make much progress with out breakthroughs.
 We should (for the time being I think) try to be a little more experimental
with some of these approaches, this is a 'researchy' - I know I keep saying
that - group.  We need to think deeply AND broadly, bringing all of the various
disciplines and techniques we know to bear.

-e