RE: [Asrg] whitelisting server and not users

2003-04-03 09:05:20
If the goal is to develop/discover/research methods to reduce spam then reverse
mapping of domain name system RR's is a valid approach.  I don't think we need
to specify anything per se to offer that as a valid methodology (whether it's
adopted may well depend on our recommendation that it is a viable method).  One
of the goals is "must not depend on universal deployment to be effective" from
the list that Paul Judge forwarded (via a link):

https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/msg01721.html

I think the offered method fits that criteria, whether it provides an incentive
may depend on whether we agree that it can be an effective enhancement to
system operation within the context in which it is being proposed I don't think
that any proposal HAS to offer an inherent incentive (based on RFC's or
whatever) but, that is a sub-goal on the list.  I think a better goal would be
'should provide an incentive for further deployment, for those doing the
deployment' because experimentation is the first step towards acceptance, we
can not skip that step if we are working towards an effectively deployed
solution.

-e

On Thursday, April 03, 2003 7:49 AM, Markus Stumpf