Re: [Asrg] Turing Test ...

2003-04-02 20:46:14
At 06:48 PM 4/2/2003 -0800, you wrote:
On Wed, Apr 02, 2003, Art Pollard wrote:

> Why not allow the e-mail client to pose a Turing test to anybody that is
> not in its whitelist?

Depends on your whitelist.

A group of people is supporting some open software so we get a lot
of questions via e-mail. A reply can come from various sources.
Which of the sources do you whitelist? Whenever I get a "TMDA"(?)
challenge as a response to my reply I delete it. If I knew in advance
that the person who asked the question uses such software I wouldn't
waste my time to provide free support for them.

True.

However, I would imagine an intelligent client would whitelist

1) Addresses who have already passed the Turing test.
2) Addresses to which messages had been sent.
3) Domains to which messages had been sent for a limited period of time.

In the case you described, they sent you a support question and thus you would already be whitelisted for your reply.

In fact, you could even go so far as to whitelist hosts for a certain period of time. So, for example, if I sent an e-mail to someone(_at_)hp(_dot_)com, all of hp.com would be whitelisted for up to N days to facilitate a reply. Once a reply had been made, the whitelist could be narrowed down to whoever sent the reply.

I believe there are some simple rules that the client could use in managing the whitelists that would significantly reduce the number of Turing tests that were presented to the senders of messages.

-Art
--
Art Pollard
http://www.lextek.com/