Re: [Asrg] Turing Test ...

2003-04-02 21:03:41
On Wed, Apr 02, 2003, Art Pollard wrote:
At 06:48 PM 4/2/2003 -0800, you wrote:
On Wed, Apr 02, 2003, Art Pollard wrote:

Why not allow the e-mail client to pose a Turing test to anybody that is
not in its whitelist?

Depends on your whitelist.

A group of people is supporting some open software so we get a lot
of questions via e-mail. A reply can come from various sources.
Which of the sources do you whitelist? Whenever I get a "TMDA"(?)
challenge as a response to my reply I delete it. If I knew in advance
that the person who asked the question uses such software I wouldn't
waste my time to provide free support for them.

True.

However, I would imagine an intelligent client would whitelist

1) Addresses who have already passed the Turing test.
2) Addresses to which messages had been sent.
3) Domains to which messages had been sent for a limited period of time.

In the case you described, they sent you a support question and thus you
would already be whitelisted for your reply.

No.

Maybe I should make it more clear: you send a question to sendmail.org,
you can get an answer from esmtp.org, some university, some Unix
vendor, some other domain...

Hence your original mail must already include a "token" which allows
the reply to go through without depending on the sender address
(domain). The simplest way would be to allow mail with

Subject: Re: your original subject

through... (hence "your original subject" should be a bit more
descriptive than "Hi" or "Help"...)