Re: [Asrg] Ban the bounce; improved challenge-response systems

2003-04-06 08:04:31
At 7:34 -0700 4/6/03, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
On Sunday, April 6, 2003, at 05:30  AM, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
I think twenty years is more than enough time to phase out
an obsolete protocol. If stopping spam breaks UUCP then UUCP
breaks, don't give it a second's thought, that is a problem
for the UUCP diehards to solve, on their own.

Not every place is like that place you're at.

UUCP still has a fair usage in places in Europe, especially sweden. I deal with people there who are on uucp links all of the time. It also still has usage in less developed countries, and in places with really limited phone systems or none at all (scientific research groups using uucp over satphone, for instance).

It's rather easy to tell someoe else to change all of their stuff, though.

just wondering aloud...

so UUCP is still in fair use but clearly a minority.

Is it really a good idea that all mail products should have to handle it - and design anti-spam or other things around it?

Might it make more sense from a design standpoint for UUCP endpoints to be gatewayed through something that talks current protocols on one side, and UUCP on the other? I have to think that most everyone who's using UUCP could probably find a host (probably owns one, perhaps at the home research institution that they contact via the satphone) that would serve this function. Even in the developing world, there are linkages to supportive "other" institutions that could help in a transitional time.