Re: [Asrg] Ban the bounce; improved challenge-response systems

2003-04-06 12:25:20
Perhaps transitional periods, whether to legacy systems or UUCP and
other 'obsolete protocols' can be left till a little later in the
process we have embarked on.  Let's dream, for the present, about what a
world without spam would be like, and how it would be achieved when
every responsible person with a mail server has upgraded to Sendmail 9,
Postfix 5 or whatever versions it will be that include our suggestions.

Speaking personally I like the idea of dynamic whitelists coupled with
shared secrets and hmac but I'd have a hard job persuading my company to
install it.  How would such a system work for one of the many people who
wish to buy our products and send an email in response to a campaign?
The campaign comes by snailmail on paper so there is no shared secret.
Are we talking limited-time mailboxes here?

mvh/regards

James