Re: [Asrg] 4.a Taxonomy -- Where would CHANNELS fit into the Taxonomy ?

2003-04-07 15:01:14

Vernon,

For the moment, my goal is to figure out where CHANNELS fit into the
taxonomy.  I presume that that is independent of whether the patent is
valid or not; though I imagine that such questions about patent are
probably important to the business folks within ZoEmail.  I had
included the disclaimer only to fulfill the spirit of the disclosure
as per RFC 2026.

That said, my understanding of the patent issue goes like this.

While the +tagging is in fact old, the use of it in ANDREW system
where I believe it originated, was disclosed in the patent application
and hence the patent office doesn't consider it disqualifying prior
art.  The patent as granted has some explicit discussion of this that
you can read if you like.

And I suppose the standard disclaimer for this explanation is "I am
not a lawyer and don't even play one on TV"

/best thoughts
Russell

    > [standard disclaimer: ZoEmail LLC has licensed the Channels system
    > from AT&T including US #5,930,479]

    I think sendmail has supported +tagging for more than 17 years, and
    certainly since long before 1996.