RE: [Asrg] 4.a Taxonomy -- Where would CHANNELS fit into the Taxonomy ?

2003-04-08 08:02:01
On Sunday, April 06, 2003 1:49 PM, Russell-2asrg44all-(_at_)zoemail(_dot_)com
[SMTP:Russell-2asrg44all-(_at_)zoemail(_dot_)com] wrote:

Bob Hall at ATT Labs created a system called channels

      http://www.research.att.com/~hall/channels-project.html

where proof of consent is in the form of a unguessable email address
called a CHANNEL.  (Our system, ZoEmail is based on this approach.)

I think it is the 'random string' encoded in the address that sets the key
mechanism - "The key idea is to give each user the capability of having
arbitrarily many structured user names, each of which contains encoded within
it a cryptographically secure (i.e., unguessable) random string."

8<...>8

Would this fall into that taxonomy at

       1 (a) (i) (2) c  Disposable email addresses

since this system does contain Disposable email addresses, but they
aren't generally meant to be "use once addresses" and users don't
think of them as disposable.

No.  Although it may be disposable, to me that is not the primary intent or
mechanism being leveraged.

or at

       1 (a) (i) (2) b Token supported

since CHANNEL seems to be a token.

I think this is the place it is best represented.  The user configurable
'unguessable' part is the stated key mechanism, and thus represents a 'token'
based approach.  Even when the user may choose thier token or modify its basis
that still appears to be the primary approach.

8<...>8

-e