Re: [Asrg] Whitelisting on Message-ID (Was Turing Test ...) honey pot plug

2003-04-09 05:45:52
At 01:38 PM 4/9/2003 +0100, Matt Sergeant wrote:
On Wednesday, Apr 9, 2003, at 13:29 Europe/London, Brad Spencer wrote:

If you see a flaw what is it? Is it an engineering-immune flaw (can't be fixed)?

If I were a spammer probing for open proxies I wouldn't probe by trying to relay an email. Getting the results from this can take up to 5 days.

He doesn't do that. He does HELO, gets a response, does a quit. He verifies he can connect to a remote port 25 through the proxy. That's instantaneous, nearly.

In any case don't tell me, tell the spammer.

I would do some other form of request. Probably to a service I control (like the web site I'm trying to advertise). That way I have both the log that it worked at the client end and the log that it worked at the server end.

I'm not suggesting that's what spammers do, but what I would do if I were a spammer. I'd want results faster than trying to probe by sending email.

It's just HELO and then QUIT. No message is attempted.