Re: [Asrg] Whitelisting on Message-ID (Was Turing Test ...) honey pot plug

2003-04-09 06:53:09
At 02:35 PM 4/9/2003 +0100, Matt Sergeant wrote:

I guess what I'm trying to say though is that you can't know what they'd do with a genuine open proxy unless you have a genuine open proxy. You can see what they're trying to achieve up to an extent, but you can't go all the way without having a proper full blown open proxy. And I don't imagine you really want one of those ;-)

Personally no, I don't. I don't even advocate them. But there is a point to be made: whether or not i do have an open proxy makes absolutely no difference as far as the amount of spam that is delivered. There are so many open proxies that my having one would not influence the abuse done through open proxies in the slightest. (Having an open proxy honeypot may slightly reduce the amount of abuse.)

If I had my choice it would be for some, many, most, or all of the open proxies already being abused, say in the telesp.br space, to be changed to open proxy honeypots. The spammers use them, trust them. It would be easy to deceive the spammers by changing them over.