RE: [Asrg] Ban the bounce; improved challenge-response systems

2003-04-09 11:03:08
At 12:23 -0400 4/9/03, Kee Hinckley wrote:
 A better choice would be to compare email to UUCP.

Let me just restate the complaint in terms that will rise to your level of pedantry, and then we can be done with it.

        Imagine if you were to upload a file _by any means_
        and got a copy of the whole file back "so you know
        which one failed" if it didn't work.

It's nonsense. The nodes that could "most need" to have the file returned are the weakest, least capable, can't store a damn thing nodes... which are also certainly the the points that have the narrowest channels in and out and the most likely to rely on protocols that can use intermittent links. The "cure" does not cure anything. Why would you push 90% of a failed file xfer backward over a packet radio link when you know the source has the file? Why would you push an e-mail message back when every client keeps an outbox?

You're all nazis. The ghost of Hitler made me do it. Can this thread end now or do I need to get find a silver stake?