[Asrg] ASRG work items - IP

2003-04-10 07:00:04
Intellectual Property, Legal cases and Patents

I would be prepared to keep track of patents, IP and spam cases and report
on them.
I have experience in IP law (Class of '76 - PunchCard 301) and am very
interested in how this mail problem will be solved. The law approach itself
is severely limited in its jurisdiction, and is most often geographically
applied. Reliable evidence is also a problem ie. how and from whom can it be
obtained
It may be that a spam solution will be almost exclusively, a technical one.
There are many patents in the Internet space and some covering commerce
systems may have aspects which have partial application in the solution of
this problem.

Brian

----- Original Message -----
From: <william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net>
To: "Paul Judge" <paul(_dot_)judge(_at_)ciphertrust(_dot_)com>
Cc: <asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Monday, March 24, 2003 6:03 PM
Subject: Re: [Asrg] ASRG work items

Also I'd like to add additional topic - IPR. I know IRTF currently does
not have IPR policy, but I'd like one established just for this research
group. I think we can do the following:

1. Whenever somebody mentions technology where they know some patent exist
or may possibly apply to the technology, the person should make statement
about IPR rights. If this patent has not been mentioned before on list,
there should be information either together with IPR statement or at the
end of message with either:
 a. If patent is received: US (or other country), Patent#, possibly link
    to the patent website
 b. If patent is pending - Name of person or organization that filed it
    and date it was filed, possibly application#

2. I would like to see somebody on the list volunteer to maintain list
of all patents mentioned (see abobve) and this list provided either
regularly to email list or located and updated on rg website.