Re: [Asrg] New take on emerging idea. (yet another C-R system?)

2003-04-10 06:40:40
At 6:01 PM -0600 4/9/03, John Fenley wrote:
I'm sorry, but I don't want to deal with spam anymore. If I have to do all this myself I will. If people choose not to contact me because they don't want to take my test, then what they had to say can't have been that important. I will be happy, and I will have no spam.

In all of the following are cases in which the message matters more to the receiver than the sender.

- Your book order isn't going to get delivered in time. (So much for the birthday present for your mother.) - I can't finish the presentation we were working on, I've got to fly to my mother's deathbed--you'll have to present it tomorrow. (Sent from your co-workers home account.)
- There's a bug in your software.
- You've got a virus.
- That message you just sent is a hoax.
- That message someone just cc'd you is a hoax.

(Note that the last three are real cases where I've sent the message and hit a c/r system instead of the person.)

You are making the sender do work to help you be spam free.  Pretty rude.

But hey, there's potential to this. Let's extend it to your phone system. When your neighbor calls you up to invite you over for dinner, how about first making them review the first five seconds of each of the other messages on your machine and flag which ones are spam? Let's get some work out of people who are trying to help you!

I don't deny that c/r will work pretty well (except against the Nigerian type solutions, perhaps). I just don't like what it's going to do to communication. Additionally, I think before anyone proposes c/r, they first need to propose a good whitelisting system--and that includes mechanism for dealing with all of the automated messages you receive, and a standard mechanism for companies and list owners to provide you with a simple one-click (plus local confirm via your whitelisting software) whitelisting link.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.