Re: [Asrg] New take on emerging idea. (yet another C-R system?)

2003-04-09 17:02:13
From: Brad Templeton <brad(_at_)templetons(_dot_)com>
On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 04:00:43PM -0600, John Fenley wrote:
> This is going to require a longer explanation.
> Looking ten years down the road I see ai programs that can respond to the
> "type the word" type requests easily.
> I see spam as coming directly(avoiding relays altogether) from spammers who
> stick around at a real $10 domain just long enough send out 100 million
> spams(with 300 million decoys to mess with baysean filters) and answer the
> tests, then change their ip's(possibly by moving their equipment
> physically) to avoid RBLs(or any sort of blacklist).
>
> Farfetched? you tell me.
> Nobody would ever go that far to send spam.....
> yeah right.

My view is that arms races aren't as bad as you depect.  More to the point,
if what we do to stop spam will have some "collateral damage" then in fact
we want to be in the arms race, because we want to use the minimum change
to cause the minimum collateral damage, until such time as that minimum is
no longer working, and then move to the next phase.

I'm sorry. what?
are you arguing that we might as well "be in the arms race" rather than skip ten years ahead to what must be the final solution?

Have you heard of polio or smallpox?
Both of these took a direct effort to stop. stopping the problem cold is the key to success.

http://www.cpmc.columbia.edu/tbcpp/abouttb.html
Tuberculosis is still around. It can be cured. Why is it still here?
Because there has been no real decisive mass immunization strategy.
All we have are patches.

I'm sorry, but I don't want to deal with spam anymore. If I have to do all this myself I will. If people choose not to contact me because they don't want to take my test, then what they had to say can't have been that important. I will be happy, and I will have no spam.

John Fenley
www.pontifier.com