Re: [asrg] 6. proposal of solution: Using Relay Honeypots to Reduce Spam

2003-04-15 15:53:08
At 02:48 PM 4/15/2003 -0600, John Fenley wrote:
From: Brad Spencer <brad(_dot_)madison(_at_)mail(_dot_)tds(_dot_)net>
Subject: [asrg] 6. proposal of solution: Using Relay Honeypots to Reduce Spam

[I cut tons of stuff out of this whole thing]

ASRG can anticipate that some spammers, at least for a while, will resist the effort to end spam and will attempt to overcome the ASRG methods. While the ASRG proposal should be comprehensive enough to anticipate such moves the details of such moves cannot be anticipated.

There are current ways to defeat honeypots.

1. using a test address to detect honeypots.(there are an infinite number of addresses available, they will not run out.)

Doing something an infinite number of times does tend to tie up your days.

Get enough honeypots and you're glad every time a spammer finds one and decides to leave that IP alone. That's /32 glad. What you want is to be /24, /20, etc. glad, leading to /0 glad.

Forget honeypots. Spammers send spam through abusable systems everywhere. That means that anywhere (everywhere is the collection of all the anywhere's) can be a point at which spammers suffer hardship, if people anywhere would do it. How one goes about messing with the spammers by messing with their ability to commit abuse is up to the ones taking the action.

2. unless you can convince the whole world that these are good, using ip to determine geographical locations where honeypots are scarce.

Yep.  Of course where the spammers are is where the best pickin's are.

3. send even more spam through the real open relays.

Yes.  But we coast, they struggle.

and As you mention:
4. send spam directly

Which honeypots can't and don't touch. Blocklists don't just touch, they wallop.

The first analysis of spam is easy: spam has two types, direct, and non-direct. Direct spam should be completely controllable by use of block lists, at least direct spam from spam-only sources.

Blocklists don't work. Again, there are an infinite number of email addresses for spammers to use.

Yeah, but spammers send direct from IPs. If they're their own IP's it's a small subset of all IPs.

A spammer could buy a domain, and do a mailing using real begginning addresses with their real domain endings. each unique address would only be used once. everyone would have to block every address in that spammers list, untill it is RBLed, and by that time the dammage is done. the spammer can just buy another domain.

I can't stop that with honepots - that's someone else's baby.

The long-term ASRG plan may include a replacement or strengthening of the SMTP protocol. What ASRG does need not be limited to a single action. Protocol enhancement may be the key part of the ASRG plan but the current intense level of spam calls for immediate action to substantially reduce the amount of spam that reaches all users, as a whole.

A revision to the SMTP protocall would eliminate the need for honeypots altogether. The problem is adoption. a new protocall will not be adopted if there is not an advantage to every user of the new protocall.

A topic for discussion. I don't care if honeypots are used. I care if spam is ended.

Senders will not upgrade unless they see an advantage to doing it.
Mail programs will not support it unless people are sending, using it. In any case you will still have to recieve regular smtp mail untill the change is complete.

True. I mentioned the option because it seemed much of the discussion aims at such a solution.

There is only one case I know of where change like this has happened. Sweden changed from driving on the left to driving on the right, one morning (September 3, 1967 I think), after a major advertising camaign (obviously)backed by their government. They made the change in the middle of the week to avoid people getting up to go to work on monday and having a "Mannic Monday" because they forgot.

It could be gradual. Have a third contact string - if both ends of the transaction recognize that string (the first uses it, the destination knows what it means) then both ends are using the new protocol. Or it could be a new port. It's not really my area of interest...

Oh yeah, our (american) tv signals are changing to digital, in a plan backed by our government. I think the deadline is 2008?

Also the Euro.

These plans were not spur of the moment plans. They took years of effort to formulate and pass. This is what is needed if the system is not self adopting, and backward compatable. (color tv was like this... a Black & White tv could display color signals, just not the color.)

Whereas honeypots use existing protocols, existing MTA's. You can do a sendmail honeypot. I ran a mixed server/honeypot using command files. It was a low-volume server and a Vaxstation, but it worked. I don't recommend mixing a server and a honeypot now but it can be done.

Whether or not the abuse meets the federal standard for action the abuse [from spammers]is theft of service.

If I set up a table on a hot day in a crowded place with no sign, put glasses of liquid on it, and people drink the liquid, are they stealing the liquid from me? likewise if the liquid turns out to be poison, am I responsible? I didn't tell them to drink it...
What do you think a court would say?

There is a federal threshold of $5000 worth of service stolen, if that's the sole abuse (theft of service.) If that could be aggregated ($5000 total for a single spammer) then federal investigators could go after high-volume spammers. that means they could get search warrants. At the moment I think this is exceedingly unlikely.

Honeypots, in this context, are systems set up to appear to the spammer to be vulnerable to abuse but not be vulnerable - some key part of the abuse is intercepted, usually delivery of spam.

The real power of honeypots comes when they exist in large numbers...

The number of honeypots does not effect the validity of the workarounds mentioned earlier.

The workaround (the effort the spammer has to put into finding real open relays) is the payoff of the honeypots. He can no longer just send a test and find an open relay - he has to ascertain that the system that passed the test is an open relay.

RFC 2505 says that securing open relays is not an approach to ending spam.
The reason is that spammers will continue to discover open relays, so that even a 95% success in securing open relays won't stop spam. The key word is discover: the problem is that spammers can discover open relays. Anyone can: try to relay an email message through a million IPs and you'll find some that will.

RFC 2505 also says:
     "The Non-Relay rules are not in themselves enough to stop spam.
      Even if 99% of the SMTP MTAs implemented them from Day 1,
      spammers would still find the remaining 1% and use them. Or
      spammers would just switch gear and connect directly to each and
      every recipient host; that will be to a higher cost for the
      spammer, but is still quite likely."

As it says "spammers would still find the remaining 1%." I wish to destroy their ability to find the remaining 1%, or to make it so difficult they quit trying.

Honeypots are not the solution. There are much more prommising Ideas out there.

Go for them - I eagerly await the solution.

To really disrupt the spammers may take a number of honeypots equal to or greater than the number of open relays. If the numbers were equal then the honeypots would be expected to be receiving roughly half the spam, a 50% cut in spam volume. At that level the spammers need only double their output to keep the same delivery level. (Someday the headroom for increasing volume will run out - then nothing the spammers can do will keep up the volume.)

Does Moore's Law apply to Bandwidth? mine sure has been going up.
I've heard tell of "A fiber to every room". Maybe that will be part of my 2016 campaign if it hasn't already happened by then.
I sure hope spam isn't still around in 2016.

The prime countermeasure a spammer can take is to stop sending spam to the honeypot, once he discovers it is a honeypot.

The best possible course of action for the spammer is to hack through your simple security, and turn your "honeypot" into a "zombie cash cow".

If the spammer sends spam to his own address then he probably will use that same address multiple times.

Not if that is what you are depending on.
random bot generated free addresses used only for 3 or so runs.

So the spammer finds an IP to not use more quickly. I don't care. The value of the idea is in the sheer overwhelming number of honeypots, not in an isolated few.

In what I'd consider the preferred implementation the ISP would be the one intercepting the abuse packets - at the ISP level. So instead of crossing off a single IP as abusable the spammer would have to (when he figured it out) have to cross off an entire ISP. As an example I'd suggest telesp.be, who sure need to do something. This is exactly what they could do and the magnitude of the abuse coming their way suggests the magnitude of the effect if they'd act against the abuse.

After that the effect is that which comes from it being learned that an ISP has, very simply, taken action that forced all spammer abuse away.

I am only half way through this thing.
I'm sorry.
I realy tried to see your logic, I feel dumber now.
I have read every message on this list since I got here, but I will not continue to read this one. You have not addressed the problems.
You are "Beating a Dead Horse to Death".

You have read and looked for problems in a specific implementation of what I propose. I propose acting against the abuse spammers commit when they send other than direct spam. It is presented as an idea.

It is preposterous to imply that no effective action can be taken anywhere against the abuse spammers commit. The dead horse, if any, is those who will not perceive.

Please use some logic. Please try to solve the problems we are telling you about before posting another behemoth like this one.
I can never get that hour back.

So sorry.