Re: [Asrg] Legal Suggestions ....

2003-04-15 14:06:24
From: Daniel Feenberg <feenberg(_at_)nber(_dot_)org>
On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, John Fenley wrote:

> Yes, if the isp does not block messages passing through their system to
> non-customers. Here in utah there are many isps that advertise that they
> block adult content, and msn advertises it's spam filtering heavily.

Huh? Why would non-customer mail flow through a system? Is every ISP to be
required to run an open relay? Or are you saying that an ISP can't filter
spam for customers of customers? That would just be another way of
preventing ISPs from purchasing filter services, which would deprive them
of the most effective method of responding to their customers demands.

I am not going to restate my answer, though I will clarify.
Net traffic can flow across an isp as part of isp level peer to peer connections that are there for redundancy. An isp that transfers traffic between 2 other isps would be one example of a THIRD party.

John Fenley