Re: [Asrg] Legal Suggestions ....

2003-04-13 21:14:03
The telcos do not guarantee to connect every call. They certainly would not
connect calls with fake caller id.

The tellcos are within their rights to drop calls in three circumstances.
First their network is overloaded. Second their customer asks them to. Third
the call has fake connection data.

I think isps should inform their customers before blocking mails. I think
they should also inform the party they block and why. They don't need to
state a reason for eac message though.

 -----Original Message-----
From:   Steven G. Willis
Sent:   Sun Apr 13 19:00:25 2003
To:     Asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject:        Re: [Asrg] Legal Suggestions ....

On 04/13/2003 at 19:01 it appears John Fenley
<pontifier(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

Personaly I think it is the recipients responsability to block their own
spam. It upsets me when I hear about legitimate mail being blocked. any
"good faith" system using todays weak reasoning will dump some legitimate
mail. Ulimately it is the recipients decision about what they want to
recieve. I feel that any system to block mail, that is not agreed to by the

recipients, should be illegal. There are substantial penalties for
interfering with postal mail. Email should be as protected as postal mail
is
from third party interference.

This is a very good point to consider. At the very least, any blocking
systems in place must have a means available for individual users to review
what is being blocked and what affect this has on traffic into their email
account(s). Without this provision, the variability of the definition of
spam will continue to remain a contentious issue with no resolution.

I shoudl say, this does _not_ in _any_ way mean I condone actions of the
spammers. What I am trying to make clear is that each individual with an
email address will make their own judgements on what is spam and what is
not. This means the facilities must be made available for each individual to
make these choices as they see fit best to make.