Re: [Asrg] Legal Suggestions ....

2003-04-13 18:55:24
On 04/13/2003 at 19:01 it appears John Fenley
<pontifier(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

Personaly I think it is the recipients responsability to block their own
spam. It upsets me when I hear about legitimate mail being blocked. any
"good faith" system using todays weak reasoning will dump some legitimate
mail. Ulimately it is the recipients decision about what they want to
recieve. I feel that any system to block mail, that is not agreed to by the
recipients, should be illegal. There are substantial penalties for
interfering with postal mail. Email should be as protected as postal mail is
from third party interference.

This is a very good point to consider. At the very least, any blocking systems
in place must have a means available for individual users to review what is
being blocked and what affect this has on traffic into their email account(s).
Without this provision, the variability of the definition of spam will continue
to remain a contentious issue with no resolution.

I shoudl say, this does _not_ in _any_ way mean I condone actions of the
spammers. What I am trying to make clear is that each individual with an email
address will make their own judgements on what is spam and what is not. This
means the facilities must be made available for each individual to make these
choices as they see fit best to make.