Re: [Asrg] Legal Suggestions ....

2003-04-15 16:49:35
On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 02:48:00AM -0700, Larry Marks wrote

ISPs are unregulated public utilities. They need to conduct themselves
that way if they want to stay that way. They don't need or deserve
special treatment such as what you propose.

  I am *NOT* asking for special treatment for ISPs.  They are *NOT*
public utilities.  That's why I'm saying they shouldn't treated as such.

If ISPs really want a solution to the problem of Spam, they should
stop being part of the problem. They should form a transparent trade
group and agree a code of conduct. A properly constructed code of
conduct would by itself result in substantial spam reduction as ISPs
wishing to retain customers will drop their seamy but profitable
side businesses.

  Cough, splutter, yeah, just the DMA has a "code of conduct".  Let's
assume, for the sake of argument, all those people on the "Millions CDs"
really *DID* want those ads.  There is a very simple solution that would
not require any conferences, or standards, or legislation.

  The email marketers could set up their own "legitimate commercial
email delivery" ISP, which they would control end-to-end, and willing
"newsletter subscribers" could join that ISP.  Not only will they
guarantee delivery of their messages to willing subscribers, but those
people who buy stock early in the new ISP will MAKE_MONEY_FAST as the
stock shoots up through the roof when millions of newsletter-starved
subscribers come crawling in on their hands and knees, begging to be
allowed to join up.  The financial carnage amongst today's big ISPs will
be horrendous when people find out about all the "exciting offers"
they've been missing and abandon the big names in droves.

  OK e-marketers, if you're really telling the truth about all your
millions of eager "double-opt-in-subscribers", this is your opportunity
to...
  - guarantee email delivery *TO WILLING RECIPIENTS ONLY*
  - and make a financial killing
  - and prove that you aren't out to JamSpamDownTheThroats of unwilling
    recipients

  I'm even willing to be there to cut the ribbon at the opening ceremony
for that ISP.  ***PUT UP OR SHUT UP***.

  If, instead, somebody wants to *FORCE MY ISP* to accept their garbage,
treading on rights of free association (and the 4th Amendment in the USA)
those actions would give me reason to believe that they're
spammers-in-waiting just itching to JamSpamDownMyThroat.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes(_at_)waltdnes(_dot_)org>
An infinite number of monkeys pounding away on keyboards will