Re: [Asrg] Legal Suggestions ....

2003-04-18 06:02:21
On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 10:14:59PM -0700, Larry Marks wrote
waltdnes(_at_)waltdnes(_dot_)org wrote:

I am *NOT* asking for special treatment for ISPs.  They are *NOT*
public utilities.  That's why I'm saying they shouldn't treated as such.

There are three points I would make in response:

1. Call them iron and steel makers or anything you want. What you
are proposing is protection from liability that no other industry
gets. You are asking that of all the kinds of businesses in the
universe, ISPs and only ISPs should receive an unprecedented level
of protection from liability. And you say that you are not asking
for special treatment?

  Email's origin is as a hobby on DARPANET/FIDOnet/BBS's etal.  You are
effectively asking for the nationalization (government takeover) of
email.  DARPANET and FIDOnet and other inter-BBS systems never claimed
to be 100% reliable business communications channels.  FIDOnet etal used
shunning/boycotts from day one.  If big business wants a reliable
communications channel, let them build their own.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes(_at_)waltdnes(_dot_)org>
An infinite number of monkeys pounding away on keyboards will