Re: [Asrg] Legal Suggestions ....

2003-04-13 21:16:30
On 04/13/2003 at 21:08 it appears Hallam-Baker, Phillip
<pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com> wrote:

The telcos do not guarantee to connect every call. They certainly
would not connect calls with fake caller id.

The tellcos are within their rights to drop calls in three
circumstances. First their network is overloaded. Second their
customer asks them to. Third the call has fake connection data.

I think isps should inform their customers before blocking mails. I
think they should also inform the party they block and why. They don't
need to state a reason for eac message though.

I agree completely.

Informing the end users of the systems in place is a very important step. There
must be a consideration though that invariably the explanation will contain
technical details are are well beyond most users. For this, I do not know what
the best solution is (sure, education is the solution, but I mean a "realistic"
solution).

Consider, also, what exactly do you consider the by "faked caller ID" as it
applies to email?

Does this include an incorrect From: in the headers?

What about an incorrect or incomplete remote name identified in the HELO/EHLO
exchange?

No reverse NS for the email server?

I am sure you can see the problems that would exist with all of these
alternatives for identifying "faked" email information...