Re: [Asrg] Legal Suggestions ....

2003-04-14 20:45:52
From: waltdnes(_at_)waltdnes(_dot_)org
On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 07:01:45PM -0600, John Fenley wrote
> Personaly I think it is the recipients responsability to block their
> own spam.

  And while we're at it, let's scrap the police force.  I'm sure you
feel that it's ever 80-year-old-granny's responsibility to protect
herself against burglars.

If you make a decision to filter your mail, it is your decision and you have taken responsability. I dont think a third party should have the right to make those decisions for me. Isn't that obvious?

Commercial spam blocking can hardly be compared to a police force, it is more like a protection racket. It does nothing to solve the problem, people are still getting "robbed", and the people who do the blocking become as dependant on spam for revenue as the spammers. Stopping spam is what they want least, as it would put them out of buissiness.

> I feel that any system to block mail, that is not agreed to by the
> recipients, should be illegal.

  If an ISP advertises spam-blocking as part of their system, would that
be sufficent for you ?

Yes, if the isp does not block messages passing through their system to non-customers. Here in utah there are many isps that advertise that they block adult content, and msn advertises it's spam filtering heavily.

John Fenley