RE: [Asrg] Legal Suggestions ....

2003-04-17 10:29:09
Any 'legal' measures will --and the thought I have is 'will always'-- be
subject to the jurisdiction of the legislation. We can not design a solution to
address that broad a spectrum of contingencies.  Instead, we should focus on
the technical approach that may be adopted where it can be adopted.  In some
jurisdictions it may not be possible to adopt methodology #1, but it may be
possible to adopt methodology #2, etc...

The inherent issue I see in trying to develop something that has such a wide
gamut of possible legal impediments or supports is that it must work in the
first instance and be configurable to work within a stipulated legal framework
in the second.  So I am not saying these issues should not be considered at
some level but rather that it can not be addressed outside of the technical
architecture of the solution/methodology, e.g. configurability.  No engineering
solution to a subjective 'problem' will be purely technical, and as you say
that may present other problems, however -- this is a technical forum -- we
should be working on the first instance (the technical solution) prior to
engaging into debate about how a particular jurisdiction will manage the
deployment of such a technology.  That is their problem or benefit, so to
speak, but only if we can develop a viable candidate solution/method.

Concerning the commercial realities involved surely you would agree that
providing a service for a fee to whomever is 'spamming' would not be in the
best interest of a 'provider' who would flagged or otherwise technically
penalized by a viable solution - regardless of it's legalities.  Losing the
legal case is not going to stop spamming from occurring if in fact it is
illegal it will become an enforcement issue, if the legal case is won it will
become a control issue.  Either way technical measures must be employed to
manage the 'problems' associated with 'it'.

If we approach the technical solutions for enforcement and/or control, we will
 likely fall right in the middle of any legal framework or jurisprudence
where that is an issue.

my $.02

-e

On Thursday, April 17, 2003 11:47 AM, Tom Thomson