Re: [Asrg] Accountability - AOL suing spammers

2003-04-17 07:48:12
From: Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>

You can increase the effectivness of the dollars you spend on prevention
with a small amount of deterrence through law enforcement.

Only if the deterrence is effective, rather than distracting or
otherwise providing a false sense of security.

Yes, but the number of distinct streams of spam seen in the Internet
by DCC servers decreased iin the first days after news of the AOL and
Symantec lawsuits broke.  See http://www.dcc-servers.net/dcc/graphs/db-size
Somehow I doubt that dip is due to spammers spending a lot of time
worrying about their U.S. taxes.  I know of no relevant measurment
artifact.  Oddly enough, I think I'm still seeing spam from some of
the outfits that were sued.

Given the limits of scope to any one jurisdiction's enforcement
authority, it is not at all clear that legislation will do anything but
burden bulk mailers who are already acting responsibly (or, at least,
accountably.)

Spam is a major burden for bulk mailers who are already acting
responsibily or accountably.