RE: [Asrg] Turing Test ... and Gray list: rating of associates

2003-04-18 22:03:28
J.C. and Art,

We may all be talking about the same idea... see also:

[Asrg] Gray list: rating of associates
https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/msg01552.html

Instead of using a plus-type email like "boffo+a90f234af57eee8bacab(_at_)there",
it uses a GUID like the one I'm sending my email from now.

I use this system now and it works whether other servers recognize this new
approach or not. Every email address is unique to the sender-receiver
pairing.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org [mailto:asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]On
Behalf Of J C
Lawrence
Sent: Monday, April 07, 2003 3:28 PM
To: Art Pollard
Cc: asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Asrg] Turing Test ...

On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 12:05:52 -0600
Art Pollard <pollarda(_at_)lextek(_dot_)com> wrote:

After the Turing test or similar authorization process, you could
exchange the information needed for using / testing digital
signatures.

Then when any additional messages are sent, the new messages would
have a signature line.  You could not only ensure that the person you
received the message from was "authorized" (as in the sense that one
would have in checking addresses) but also is who they say they are.

Absolutely, and this raises a critical distinction:

  To what degree is the problem to be handled at the MTA level, the LDA
  level or the MUA level?

To get the platitudes out of the way, earlier is generically better.
(Doh!)  My expectation is that we're going to have to involve all three
camps, heavily and discretely.  More specifically I expect that the
final strategies realised and deployed will be multiple and overlapping,
without consistent direction and design cooperation between the levels.

Consider the simple case of consent tokens:

  Who generates the consent token?  Who tracks it?  Who checks it?  Who
  has audit oversight on the consent trail?

(I won't deal with consent acquisition at this point)

Crytpo techniques can certainly be applied to make processing of consent
tokens unidirectional (eg only one thing can generate them, any thing
may check their veracity).  They can also be applied to the ends of
arranging mutual consent from a contact, as well as forming the visible
expressions and encodings of consent.

This would also help solve the problem of people with multiple e-mail
addresses.  They could have lots of e-mail addresses and as long as
they had the proper signature set up at the different e-mail addresses
/ accounts then the fact that they had different addresses could be
entirely transparent.

<nods>

This is an interesting one -- the ability to make different addressing
forms invoke the same consent methods, or for them to be externally
resolvable as representing the same human -- but outside of the nice
efficiency aspects I'm not clear that its our business (yet).

Now, I am starting to get a budding idea here.....

Oh dear.

What if..... A new digital signature were issued to each new person
who you correspond with.  Then if you start getting spam from that
person / organization, you could simply disapprove them.  This would
get around any possibility of people sharing information to try to get
around the restrictions.

Aye, I proposed something of this when I talked about forward chained
expression of consent tokens. This could be expressed thru overloading
the SMTP envelope.  Consider:

  Bubba emails Boffo.