Re: [Asrg] Spam Control Complexity

2003-04-20 10:00:09
On Sat, 19 Apr 2003, John Fenley wrote:

  Most diseases fall somewhere in between.  Spam looks more like the
common cold than any other analagous disease, so it's probably going
to be impossible to get rid of entirely.

Spam uses human vectors to propegate just as smallpox did. The type of
internet user who actually buys products from spam is the human vector that
allows spam to complete it's "life cycle".

Spam doesn't "use" anything. Spam is generated by people motivated by
economics and made possible by the nature of the infrastructure. It
will not go away, but can be mitigated to varying degrees by changes
to the infrastructure.

Arguing that spam is a disease is the same as arguing that car
crashes are a disease.

I have heard many arguments against Challenge/Response systems, but many of

[...]

C/R would not be good for a buissiness address.
      A buissiness is not going to buy from spam, thus they are not a vector
for it's propegation.

Incorrect. Businesses recieve spam, and are made of people. People
buy stuff from spam.

C/R is annoying to people.
      C/R isn't going to stop a friend from emailing you. I'm guessing the
majority of email a new internet user recieves is from personal friends.
Also my twist on the turing test *could* be fun for a new user, and whomever
decides to mail them.

I will not use a CR system, so you're right, it won't stop a friend from
emailing me.

C/R can mess with mailing lists.
      I proposed a system to fix that problem. I recieved no constructive
criticism, and when I proposed government funding that became the issue not
wether or not it could work.

Alan handled this point well.

The main issue is that C/R, no matter how annoying (sorry, "fun") you
make it, addresses the issue by erecting roadblocks to communication
rather than changing the nature of the communications channel in any
meaningful way.

[...] Spam decreases
productivity. Immediate action is nessisary. I feel a disease eradication
aproach is the correct one.

Your apparent desire to get governments involved is making more sense.

-j

--
Jamie Lawrence                                        jal(_at_)jal(_dot_)org
Politics is the entertainment branch of industry.