Re: [Asrg] Other Groups Efforts

2003-04-21 22:36:15
On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 10:38:23AM -0600, Tom Bartel wrote

From todays SpamNews:

http://directmag.com/ar/marketing_email_coalition_floats/index.htm

How does the idea of "legitimate" bulk senders, being "certified", scrub
against any of the technical backend architecture changes being
discussed here.  It seems to me that most any idea holds little promise
with out the cooperation of Top ISP's.  I'm not sure the NAI group has
that.

  NAI defines spam as "that which we do not do".  Their membership looks
like an honour roll of MAPS inhabitants.  Some of them have sued their
way off of MAPS.  Topica, after having their Habeas certification
revoked recently, has gone on a tear registring new domain names to send
their emails from... why?  So do you trust them?.

  Assuming people do want to play that game, the easiest form of
"authentication" is IP address(es) of sending MTA(s).  No need for
"secret handshake" or PKI or "certificate".

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes(_at_)waltdnes(_dot_)org>
Email users are divided into two classes;