Re: [Asrg] Spam Control Complexity -- scaling, adoption, diversit y and scenarios [evidence for legal actions]

2003-04-23 07:51:30
At 9:49 AM +0200 4/23/03, Andrzej Filip wrote:
Sigh.  Time to buy another disk I guess.

Tapes may be more suitable for the task.
How many messages from <> to non existing local users YOUR site bounces per day ?

I don't know, my mail system only logs the RCPT address in the bounce info.
I'm currently averaging 30 bounces a minute, with a peak of 96 in the last 24 hours. I've seen as high as 700 per minute though. That's on a site with no more than a dozen or so real email addresses.
http://www.somewhere.com/mrtg/smtp-reject.html

Actual bounce-back used to be worse when we were a common forged address. I could get thousands a minute if AOL's servers were getting hit.

Are you ready to tell in public that you do not give a dam about who fakes sender addresses in your email domain ?

I used to. I don't anymore. It's kind of like littering. I'd like it to stop, but I'm not going to try and track every piece of litter to the source--just the big abusers. Keep in mind, I'm a special case. Millions of people forge somewhere.com.

Unfortunately the fact that I know who they are doesn't help me at all. Axis (internet-enabled video cameras). Microsoft (FrontPage templates). They forged it. I'm suffering the consequences. Now what?

If you want to look at legal requirements. Give me a way of going after someone for forging my domain where I can claim more than just lost time as my damages. Then you won't need to require people to store bounce-back--they'll have an incentive.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.