RE: [Asrg] Technical Considerations for Spam Control Mechanisms

2003-04-27 20:07:13
I just took a look, on the whole it is pretty good.

I think you are right in your assement that the chief problem with filtering
is the problem of evasion. I think Paul Kocher has a good description of
this - last mover advantage.

I think the section on blacklists needs to address the problem of
administrative effort. Basically blacklists are on the wrong end of the work
factor vs the spam senders. The task gets harder for the blacklist
maintainers faster than evasion gets for the spam senders.

You do not deal with authentication based approaches at all, yet you do
address 'sender pays' which appears undeployable by your own criteria.

You do not tie your discussion of core vs edge to the architectural
discussion so it is difficult to know what you are meaning. I don't think
anyone is suggesting IP level filtering for spam so what is the core you are
referring to?

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Crocker [mailto:dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net]
Sent: Sunday, April 27, 2003 10:46 PM
To: asrg
Subject: [Asrg] Technical Considerations for Spam Control Mechanisms

Folks,

I've just send an internet-draft titled:

     Technical Considerations for Spam Control Mechanisms

     Internet mail has operated as an open and unfettered
channel between
     originator and recipient. This invites some abuses,
called spam, such
     as burdening recipients with unwanted commercial email. Spam has
     become an extremely serious problem, is getting much
worse, and is
     proving difficult (or impossible) to eliminate. The most
practical
     goal is to bring spam under reasonable control; it will
require an
     on-going, adaptive effort, with stochastic rather than complete
     results. This note discusses available points of control in the
     Internet mail architecture, considerations in using any of those
     points, and opportunities for creating Internet standards to aid
     in spam control efforts.  It offers guidance about likely
     trade-offs (benefits and limitations.)

A copy is now available at:
<http://brandenburg.com/specifications/draft-crocker-spam-tech
consider-00.txt>

This is very much a first draft.  Comments and suggestions are eagerly
sought.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>