Re: [Asrg] Technical Considerations for Spam Control Mechanisms

2003-04-29 06:30:10
Folks

DC> I've just send an internet-draft titled:
DC>      Technical Considerations for Spam Control Mechanisms
DC> A copy is now available at:

<http://brandenburg.com/specifications/draft-crocker-spam-techconsider-00.txt>

Thanks to those who sent me feedback so quickly.  I have posted a new
version at the above URL.  (There is also an html version with the
obvious name.)  The version number is -00 for this draft because the
first version did not get issued as an internet-draft.

Changes include quite a bit of what I hope is cleanup to the language
and clarification to some of the content.

The discussion of whitelist/blacklist has been made to match common
usage.

There are many other small changes such as changing MTA.i to be ISP.i.

Comments are still eagerly sought.

As a reminder, here is the abstract:

     SUMMARY

     Internet mail has operated as an open and unfettered
     channel between originator and recipient. This invites
     some abuses, called spam, such as burdening recipients
     with unwanted commercial email. Spam has become an
     extremely serious problem, is getting much worse, and
     is proving difficult (or impossible) to eliminate. The
     most practical goal is to bring spam under reasonable
     control; it will require an on-going, adaptive effort,
     with stochastic rather than complete results. This note
     discusses available points of control in the Internet
     mail architecture, considerations in using any of those
     points, and opportunities for creating Internet
     standards to aid in spam control efforts.  It offers
     guidance about likely trade-offs (benefits and
     limitations.)

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>