Re: [Asrg] Protecting Legitimate Commercial Email (was Re: ESPC Proposal)

2003-04-28 11:29:23
Nathaniel Borenstein wrote:
I believe passionately that many kinds of commercial use of email are Very Good Things. Every bill and account statement that I get via email saves a fraction of a tree;

Furthermore, every every bill and account statement you get by email puts money in our pocket too - the stuff we sell _is_ the Internet (we're one of the world's largest manufacturers of Internet equipment).

But.

If spam pisses everyone off so much they abandon email, the net result is a loss of business, not a gain.

And obviously, _we_ want to use email to market, and we do. By not doing the things that many of the ESPC members do - sending email to people who didn't ask for it.

It seems obvious that the ESPC is an attempt by those who self-define as legitimate commercial emailers to separate themselves from spam well enough to construct discriminating solutions.

There be the crux: "self-define". Most if not all of the ESPC members are currently blacklisted here. Not because we're confusing them with someone else (which is what the ESPC is all about preventing), but because they really _are_ spamming.

ESPC won't do anything to reduce spam volumes. It won't even do anything to help those marketers get their messages through - because we don't want what they _are_ sending already.

The main issue isn't about identity. It isn't about content. It's about _consent_. ESPC won't do anything about enforcing consent on the senders, nor allow the recipients to determine whether there was consent.