Re: [Asrg] Protecting Legitimate Commercial Email (was Re: ESPC P roposal)

2003-05-01 14:02:11

On April 30, 2003 at 22:34 meta(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com (mathew) wrote:
I'm pretty sure Barry Shein does. Perhaps he could chime in on whether
that's just an empty threat, though.

I have in the past charged customers for spam cleanup tho we haven't
had a real* spamming incident arising from here in years

 Why? Because the customer simply disputes the charge, and then you're
off to court to try and get $500.  You can't win that game.

A merchant can dispute a dispute if they are willing to provide
evidence that the dispute is fraudulent and otherwise follow-up.

It's harder if the merchant doesn't have a signed slip, and they're
still not likely to get the money from the card co. But if the card
company sees it the merchant's way the card is likely to be cancelled
immediately, presumably with an entry in the mystical all-knowing
credit db, and of course the merchant is still free to pursue the
money by other means tho I agree that's rarely worthwhile for small
amts.

* by non-real I am referring to stuff like joe jobs or people
complaining that they'd been "spammed" by a mailing list they'd
clearly signed up for, stuff like that happens.)

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*