RE: [Asrg] Community proposal alert...Vendor Proposes Open E-mail Standards To Fight Spam

2003-05-03 18:33:30
On Saturday, May 03, 2003 8:26 PM, Kee Hinckley
[SMTP:nazgul(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com]
wrote:
At 4:49 PM -0400 5/3/03, Eric D. Williams wrote:
Is opt-out a viable concept?

Before we get too far down this, let's have some definitions.

What do you mean by "opt-out"?  In particular, where did the company
get your email address from in the first place?

- bought it
- they got mail from someone with your from address
- someone entered it on their web site
- got it offline from someone claiming to be you

Yeah, whatever, I mean the kind of messages that 'legitimate' bulk mailers
describe as 'opt-out' (which I don't think is a viable construct on it's face)
so anything you get that you did not ask for, my belief is that is the current
paradigm.

Which of those are opt-out?  And what are the others?

Yes, there's a negative slant to my examples.  I've received
unsolicited email from people claiming all of the above (except
perhaps the last one).

BTW, I think that transactional messages are all explicit opt-in
messages (this
I derive from anecdotal experience with eCommerce purchasing, e.g. send
confirmation in e-mail, reading the consent agreement at transaction
completion

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  But if you mean that
transactional email always uses confirmations, that is definitely not
true.  As a case in point, if anyone wants a rental car in their
name, just let me know.  wormalert(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com gets several Alamo
rental car confirmations every week, and from those messages I can go
to the GoAlamo web site and redirect the car rental to any
destination and renter's name that I want.  This despite the fact
that every email to the address gets a bounce message back.

I mean, I buy a movie ticket and check the box that says send confirmation in
eMail.  Or, I go to a rental car web site and reserve a car and the 'system'
states a confirmation of my reservation information has been sent via eMail.
 That kinda thing.  I am not sure which of those situations is closer to what
you are talking about.  If you are getting Alamo confirmations that sounds like
a flaw in their system and not in the general Internet system for messaging.
 BTW, what do you call that type of message - a misdirected message or a
message caused by misconfiguration?

-e

--
Kee Hinckley