RE: [Asrg] Community proposal alert...Vendor Proposes Open E-mail Standards To Fight Spam

2003-05-05 06:37:12
At 9:28 PM -0400 5/3/03, Eric D. Williams wrote:
I mean, I buy a movie ticket and check the box that says send confirmation in
eMail.  Or, I go to a rental car web site and reserve a car and the 'system'
states a confirmation of my reservation information has been sent via eMail.
 That kinda thing.  I am not sure which of those situations is closer to what
you are talking about. If you are getting Alamo confirmations that sounds like
a flaw in their system and not in the general Internet system for messaging.
 BTW, what do you call that type of message - a misdirected message or a
message caused by misconfiguration?

Well, the cause is clear enough. Someone lied to them about their email address. My main point is that people are using non-confirmed email (opt-out) for transactional email. That's incredibly stupid--but true. So long as people believe that an email address entered on a form is "opt-in", that kind of thing will continue. Unfortunately that is in fact how most of the email subscriptions in the world work.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.