Re: [Asrg] Revised proposal

2003-05-04 08:38:42
From: "Scott Nelson" <scott(_at_)spamwolf(_dot_)com>
Mailblocks holds and is enforcing two patents on challenge response.
(US 6,199,102 and US 6,112,227)

This doesn't kill the idea entirely, but I do think it's bad form to
require something that uses patented technology without at least
mentioning the patent.

P.S.
I Hope the pending lawsuit will make this point moot.
Shameless plug for my take on the subject, and a plea for more prior art;
   http://www.spamwolf.com/patents/

Thanks for pointing that out.  This would be bad since I think the key thing in
my
proposal is that a certified server must use challenge-response for
"unauthenticated" mail.  Not only is this the bridge from the current system, I
think revocation of credentials would be much prompter if there were a viable,
yet
slightly annoying fallback.  That challenge-response is slightly annoying is a
feature, not a bug!

This is more serious than patents on sender authentication, since I think more
than
one authenticating technology, as well as authenticating authority, can coexist.

Still, I would like to get a list of any related patents, as well as other
potential
legal issues.

And thanks for your work in uncovering prior art.