Re: [Asrg] seeking comments on new RMX article

2003-05-04 07:39:22
Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:
What this therefore asserts is that the domain name in a From field is
always tied to a fixed set of originating MTAs.

The presumption is incorrect.

  I agree.  But I still like RMX.

  What's important for me is that RMX allows the receiving MTA to
trivially discover that the originating domain has consented to send
mail from that MTA.  Right now, we have *no* way of verifying the
originators consent.

For a variety of reasons -- notably for some mobile users -- the
originating MTA may well be unable to know the set of valid domains
sending from it.  That is, some mobile users must be able to
spontaneously post through different MTAs.

  I've heard this before, and I have no idea why it's true.

  Are there NO other methods which a mobile user may use to send mail?
SMTP is only one of many protocols used to send/receive email.

This highlights an important requirement for evaluating proposals:  What
*valid* scenarios does it prevent?

  Used properly, RMX doesn't prevent anything.  It simply allows the
recipient MTA to make faster, better decisions about how to deal with
the email.

  No RMX?  Run the message through a content filter with a high false
positive rate.  RMX?  Run the message through a content filter with a
high false negative rate (spam is now accountable, and traceable...)

  Alan DeKok.