Re: [Asrg] seeking comments on new RMX article

2003-05-04 12:18:48
On Sun, 04 May 2003 10:49:52 -0400
Alan DeKok <aland(_at_)freeradius(_dot_)org> wrote:
Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:

What this therefore asserts is that the domain name in a From field
is always tied to a fixed set of originating MTAs.

The presumption is incorrect.

  I agree.  But I still like RMX.

What's important for me is that RMX allows the receiving MTA to
trivially discover that the originating domain has consented to send
mail from that MTA.

That doesn't work for things like yahoo, mail.com, etc who offer
POP/IMAP accounts to arbitrary users without an outbound smarthost.

Right now, we have *no* way of verifying the originators consent.

It specifically doesn't work for me as I aggregate mail from ~8
addresses here at home, and have my MUA configured to automatically
generate the correct From: header depending on what folder I'm sending
mail from.  Of the eight domains involved, I control only two...

--
J C Lawrence
claw(_at_)kanga(_dot_)nu               He lived as a devil, eh?