Re: [Asrg] seeking comments on new RMX article

2003-05-04 18:33:15

AD> Are there NO other methods which a mobile user may use to send mail?

DC> no.

Dave,

What about VPN?  What about stunnel?  What about smtp-auth?  What about
Courier's "outbox" for IMAP over SSL?  Heck, what about ssh tunnels?
There are many, many well-known, widely-used mobile user solutions that
either do not involve a direct SMTP connection or add some sort of strong
authentication, and plenty of them are freely available.  Even in the most
restricted case that I can imagine--mobile users whose only access to the
system is via public web terminals--the organization could install an
https webmail system, and there are a lot of very good free ones out
there.

An organization that wishes to implement RMX records is not exactly
limited in its options.  But should an organization not wish to implement
RMX records (yet), it can choose not to, and everything will continue to
work as it does now.

Perhaps I'm not understanding your objection?

Mike