Re: [Asrg] Shannon Jacob's article on spam

2003-05-21 11:11:08

> At 6:00 AM +0900 5/20/03, Shannon Jacobs wrote:
>> However, I've already said that I think the obvious solution is to
>> provide an alternative cash-up-front email system. There are plenty
>> of things wrong with snail mail, but it does work quite effectively
>> in limiting the volume of physical spam we receive

As a technical standards group, we can define the general protocol that can be used for such systems leaving the actual implementations aside. This is similar to the efforts on developing an interworking C/R protocol by Eric Dean. Just like all other solutions (C/R for ex.), an economic up-front system will not be acceptable to everyone and not everyone will be using it. As Dave Crocker states in his draft (http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-crocker-spam-techconsider-01.txt):

"it is not clear that it is possible to retroactively fit the necessary mechanisms to Internet mail. Its complete absence from the current service and the existence of anonymous and free email services may provide too much operational inertia. It is also not clear who should receive the fees or how they should be disbursed."

Therefore, I think we should look at such systems as one of the possible solutions against spam. There are already some startups that use this system. Our goal as a standards group should be on standardizing a protocol that can be used by many such systems to interoperate among themselves. Whether the actual systems SHOULD be implemented or recommended is a different question, but based on what we are seeing now, some of these systems already exists and more will be implemented - just like the many C/R systems. Our goal is to make sure they interoperate.

Yakov