[Asrg] Economic methods for controlling spam (was [Yet another] article on spam)

2003-05-23 12:29:44
At 06:13 AM 5/23/2003 +0900, Shannon Jacobs wrote:

However, with email we have the potential to do much better if we devise the
proper economic model. Right now the spammers are forcing us to spend
additional money handling their spam. More machines for filtering. Lawyers
to write more laws. Why can't we turn that around and spend money to offer
better email services?
[....]
We still need to filter email, but we should be using those filtering cycles
to enforce OUR interests on the advertisers.
[....]
There are various anti-spam email systems out there, but so far all of the
ones I've looked at expect me to pay blackmail "insurance" charges to get
rid of the spam. This is a WRONG economic model, and I will NOT be
blackmailed.

Perhaps we can start a discussion about the economic models of spam control and various systems possible. Below is a quote from section 1.7. of Dave Crocker's draft on spam control mechanims (http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-crocker-spam-techconsider-01.txt), we can start off discussion with this:

Postal mail imposes a fee on the sender for each message that is sent. Such a fee makes the cost of sending significant, and proportional to the amount sent. In contrast, current Internet mail is very nearly free to the sender. Hence there is interest in exploring "sender pays" email.

One form of sender-pays is identical to postal stamping. Another entails "retribution" to the sender, taking the fee for their posting only if the recipient indicates they were unhappy to receive it. For both models, it is not clear that it is possible to retroactively fit the necessary mechanisms to Internet mail. Its complete absence from the current service and the existence of anonymous and free email services may provide too much operational inertia. It is also not clear who should receive the fees or how they should be disbursed.