Re: [Asrg] Shannon Jacob's article on spam

2003-05-22 10:47:16
From: "Shannon Jacobs" <shanen(_at_)acm(_dot_)org>
There are plenty of things wrong
with snail mail, but it does work quite effectively in limiting the volume
of physical spam we receive

Many people cite the lack of substantial ammounts of Snail-mail as a proof that an economic sollution to spam can work. I recieve as much Snail-mail spam, as i do E-mail spam.

About 2 years ago I added up the postage of all the Snail-Spam i recieved in a typical month. I found that Bulk Snail mailers spend over $200 per month in postage to send me advertisements. The volume of mail (as percieved) has not decreased since then. My situation is probably at the extreme end of the spectrum as my family has lived at the same address for over 50 years, but advertising in general is a multi-billion dollar per year industry. To think that advertisers won't pay money to send email is (i feel) an assumption without sufficient proof.

John Fenley